Skip to main content

Exploring the Al Heet Cave

There are some things that happen in life when you least expect them.

Just last week, our laptop fell accidentally and the result was something that taught me a lesson on file back ups: all the files and the pictures that I've saved in the hard drive were damaged. Most of the pictures were from my DSLR and most were trips to places here in Riyadh. Sigh. Next time, I would be mindful of the pictures I've taken and save them in my Dropbox account.


It's a good thing that I went to those places with friends. They're friends who like to photograph a lot, too. I've also some friends who've gone to those places either ahead of us or after we've informed them about the beauty of those sites. And the friends they brought with them like taking pictures, too! So although I lost most of my precious photos, I've some friends who lent me theirs to post here. The benefits of having friends, huh?


Sunday and Gabby outside the cave

Just before winter came last year, we decided to explore Ain Al Heet Cave. Although Fred was the first to know about this cave, we were the last to explore it because Fred has work on Saturdays. It was in Al Kharj, near Industrial City 2 where he works.

We went there on a fine, beautiful Saturday morning. I didn't intend to go down as I've heard from friends that the descent is a little dangerous, especially for women. For the record, I've explored only one cave in my life! That was when I spent a short vacation in Sta. Cruz, Marinduque and my college friend asked me to just "stroll along the country side". Being born and raised in the city, I didn't know that the countryside meant mountains and a cave!


Saudi families on the way to the mouth of the cave

Just a few steps before reaching the mouth of the cave.

Sunday and Gabby only reached this point (the mouth). I asked them to stay behind.

Whoever placed that rope that helped us on our way up and down the cave, thank you so much.

A female friend and I were having second thoughts if we would go down or not. But on the way to the mouth of the cave, we met two men and a woman looking exhausted and a little shivery. Upon knowing from them that the woman went down and even swam in the cave pool, we then knew that we can make it.

But it wasn't a walk in the park. It was a sweat-inducing and a little dangerous activity. Dangerous because I slipped and fell while we were only halfway through the cave. I will never forget the sight of those big rocks waiting to crush (err, catch) me when I was falling. It still haunts me. Until now, I am still thanking God for the big rock that He placed on the path to block my fall to the bottom.

It was my fault why that happened. I didn't listen to Fred when he told me to look for steady, flat rocks. And what made it more exhausting and dangerous is our restricted movement because we didn't take off our abaya for fear of being reprimanded (by Saudi locals) for not wearing it.


Blurry but I'm still happy I have this picture to prove that I've been there! Thank you, friends!

No one was swimming when we reached the cave pool. But we knew another batch was on its way when we heard voices from above. The water isn't clear and garbage was either lying on the rocks or tucked on their crevices. I wish people would protect this beautiful place.


Can you see Fred? Look for him!


Graffiti on the cave's walls

More visitors coming!

The ascent to the opening of the cave was more difficult. It took a lot of arm and leg flexes to reach for steady rocks I can grasp firmly. That was then I realized that I am so unfit!

The beautiful view outside the cave, on the way home

Would I go down the Ain Al Heet cave again? Tempting, but no thanks. Would I advise any woman to do it? Yes! Just be extra careful and take off your abaya!



View Larger Map

Al Heet Cave Google Map Coordinates: 24.485822, 46.997108

P.S. Special thanks to friends Rachel, Chito, Chad, and Chan for their photos.

Comments

Sonyboy Fugaban said…
Oh, and this too. Times like this really make wanna buy a car. But it's just a wishful thinking at this point.

Been tapping a lot of people in my circle to get me there but couldn't no one.

Beth said…
It's better to go there during winter months, Sonyboy. I'm not sure when we would go there again but when we would, I will inform you through our friend John. :)
Sony Fugaba said…
At this point, I still can't get no one to drag me to this place.

Anyway, my apologies, Beth, for not getting back to you on that September 25 event.

Regards to your beautiful family.

Popular posts from this blog

Star City, Riyadh

It's the start of Gabby and Sunday's vacation! And I'm back to the things that I always take for granted: reading and blogging. I've always looked forward to posting here but life has been a whirlwind for the past months. Gabby graduated from primary school and will be in high school this June. Yes, you read it right. I now have a high school kid. How time flies! I got so sick after that and was rushed to the ER and was given antibacterial medicines intravenously. But now, I'm back and raring to blog again.

Prince Salman Science Oasis, Riyadh

Don't think that I don't like my job when I tell you that I took a leave of absence just to accompany my daughter to her field trip. I do love my job. But my daughter is growing up fast and I don't want to miss the chances of being with her on times she asks me to.

Ever read or heard about the famous deathbed regret quote? It says, “No man ever said on his deathbed, ‘I wish I had spent more time in the office.'” That thought reminds me to always have time for my family, no matter how busy I am at work. So on times I need to choose between being a mom and an office employee, I always choose the former. And I haven't regretted that choice since I started making it.

Let me be honest here. One of the reasons I went to that field trip was to check out places that aren't included in my must-go-to list here in Riyadh. I am so sure museums and exhibition centers are way below your list too, if they're there at all.



*Prince Salman Science Oasis (PSSO) is a non-pr…

A Day in Baher Villas, Al Khobar

The school opened last June and the kids are now busy studying, doing homework and projects. I'm happy that I wouldn't have to think of things for my kids to do just like what I've said here. My kids love to go to beaches on their vacations from school. And because we didn't go to the Philippines this year, Fred and I thought of bringing them to a beach resort here to bust their boredom and change their environment even for just a day or two.