Skip to main content

Oman Convention and Exhibition Centre


It's 2017! Happy New Year to us all!

More than a month has passed since I came back from Oman when I attended the momentous launch of Mina Al Sultan Qaboos Waterfront. It was one of my most unforgettable moments as an expat here in the Middle East. It's one thing that doesn't happen every day. And until now, the experience hasn't left me. I still cannot believe I went there alone. Or that I was able to interact with strangers who turned out to be some of the friendliest people I know.

I wanted to post the other places I've been to after the launch, but I decided it would be best to present my experience and the places chronologically — except for the Plaza Premium Lounge in Muscat International Airport — which I will tell you about on my last post about Oman.




Prior to the launch, a Media Roundtable was held at Oman Convention and Exhibition Centre (OCEC). I admit I've attended events for bloggers before. And back in the Philippines, I've handled and attended media events as part of the creative team for marketing and communications departments of companies. So having experienced being on both sides of promotional campaigns, I already have an idea how this will turn out. But this is different. This is so much bigger than what I've been to! And this is my first official press trip!

And of course, as expected, the blogger in me — the part that always gets excited when something new happens  — got so fascinated when I entered and set foot in this huge exhibition center! It was really HUGE. If only I can stay longer to explore, but I had a meeting to attend.


After a brief introduction of the Omran Management Team, details of the waterfront project were disclosed and a short video presentation of Madinat Al Irfan, another development project of Omran, was played on the screen.

The Q&A followed the quick presentation. And before I tell you about the questions, let me tell you first that there were only two bloggers on this media event and it was during this part that I, and some PR staff, realized that bloggers like me should have had another type of itinerary before the launch. But I didn't mind because I love attending meetings! Or so I thought.

While most media attendees were from Muscat Daily, Construction Weekly, Times of Oman and other big names in news and publishing in the Middle East, I didn't feel intimidated because people from Omran were warm enough to welcome us. But as details of the project were presented and questions were thrown, I realized that most of them were too technical and too mathematical for a blogger like me! How in the world would I understand shares and investments from private sectors? How will I relate sustainability with economic gains? But I stayed and listened. I lingered and savored the moment, which may not happen again in years.







When they told us that a media kit containing all the details of MSQ Waterfront Phase One will be given or emailed later, I decided it was time to excuse myself and check out the lobby of the OCEC. It wasn't on our itinerary to explore the convention center to our liking so I didn't get the chance to take enough pictures. These images from OCEC website might help you in visualizing just how huge and state-of-the-art this exhibition center is. It has a 3,200 seater auditorium, 14 meeting rooms, 2 ballrooms and column-free exhibition halls.








The media meeting was cut short for reasons I didn't mind, and after a sumptuous lunch in Chocolate Lounge, we were taken to the hotel to rest and get ready for the MSQ Waterfront launch in the evening.

Visit Oman Convention and Exhibition Centre here for the image gallery, location and contact details.

*images with OCEC logo are properties of OCEC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star City, Riyadh

It's the start of Gabby and Sunday's vacation! And I'm back to the things that I always take for granted: reading and blogging. I've always looked forward to posting here but life has been a whirlwind for the past months. Gabby graduated from primary school and will be in high school this June. Yes, you read it right. I now have a high school kid. How time flies! I got so sick after that and was rushed to the ER and was given antibacterial medicines intravenously. But now, I'm back and raring to blog again. Before I post another event or place, let me just finish Sunday's field trip. Before their visit to Prince Salman Science Oasis , the kids went to Star City in Exit 9 first. We've been passing by this amusement park for the longest time and I am really curious as to what is inside it. Of course, I know there are rides. But what kind of rides? Are  abaya s taken off or women ride wearing it? These were the questions I had before entering the park. An

A Day in Baher Villas, Al Khobar

The school opened last June and the kids are now busy studying, doing homework and projects. I'm happy that I wouldn't have to think of things for my kids to do just like what I've said here . My kids love to go to beaches on their vacations from school. And because we didn't go to the Philippines this year, Fred and I thought of bringing them to a beach resort here to bust their boredom and change their environment even for just a day or two. After searching online and asking some friends, we went to Baher Villas in Al-Khobar. It is located in Half Moon Bay area and several hundred kilometers away from Riyadh. Going there was a risk we had to take because first, it would only be the four of us. If anything happens to us or on our car while on the road, there's no one to help us. Not like two years ago when we went there on a convoy. Second, we didn't know the way. We just relied on the GPS of our Android phone. And third, we didn't know what li

Almarai Dairy Farm and Factory Visit

Whenever I chat with my friend based in Abu Dhabi, I always ask her what she will cook for an upcoming occasion, and she would promptly send snapshots of dishes I only dream of cooking. And when I posted the photo of my husband and me on my Facebook account, with a short "A trip to Almarai Dairy Farm" caption, she commented that she and her partner like Almarai products especially the yogurt and fresh milk. That's when I realized that although we're miles apart, my friend and I still have something in common: we enjoy the same brand of milk and juice drinks. Almarai products are also my family's favorite. My kids like Almarai Fresh Milk so much that they can finish a liter in less than three hours. F gulps down an Almarai yogurt before he eats breakfast every day. I like the skimmed milk and the orange-carrot juice drink. I'm loyal to its cheese product line. So when I heard the Almarai Dairy Farm and Factory visit from friends who have been there s